{padding:0 3px}

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Living on $40 per week (grocery budget) - Week 5

Wow, it's week 5 of this $40 grocery budget already? It's gone kind of quick and I would say I have really enjoyed keeping myself in budget check. With us possibly building a new home, I probably need to do this more often!
R-man loving his lil' crunchies

This week, I was able to keep my budget around $30. Kids, you should thank mama because you each get $5 this week. We all know you'll need way more than the extra grocery budget once you start college but as my parents used to say when I was a kid, "Every little bit helps."

I purchased the necessities this week so that is how I was able to keep it under my budget. I purchased two gallons of milk (it's cheaper at Fareway), bread, celery soup, frozen peas, sprite and a few snacks for little-C and R-man. They might as well be spoiled every now and then because let's face it...kids don't stay little forever. This week I made Salisbury steaks for the family. They are quick, easy and delicious! I paired the Salisbury steaks with squash and cubed potatoes. When I'm making something, I always make something that's quick, easy and that little-C will eat!

R-man has some delicious lunches this week. This week he's eating:
  • Carrots & squash
  • Squash & peas
  • Apples & blueberries
  • Apples & peaches
  • Crackers & puffs 

Thankfully we had some fruit and vegetables left over from last week so that helped the budget too. I've learned the following things this week

  1. Use the groceries in your pantry and be sure to check your freezer and cupboards before going shopping.
  2. NEVER shop when you're hungry because it makes you become more of an impulsive shopper.
  3. Don't test the samples at the store - it's a marketing gimmick to get you to purchase the products. Keep yourself within your budget and walk on by, unless your child needs a snack. 

No comments :

Post a Comment