{padding:0 3px}

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Living on $40 per week (grocery budget) - Week 4

I must admit, living on a $40 per week grocery budget is getting a lot more difficult as the weeks progress. Part of me will be glad when lent is over but the other part of me is glad I started this process to put myself back into a "budget" check! I was always one of those impulsive shoppers but this budget process has made me stop and think before putting something in my cart.  Now, I often ask myself, is this a need or a want?  More often than not the products used to be just a need.

This week, I did go a bit over my $40 budget! I tried not to but I couldn't help it. I went shopping on Friday evening after work and got a few snacks for the ISU basketball game. Our entire family was hoping that ISU could beat Connecticut. Even though we were all cheering the Cyclones came short of pulling out a win. 
Cousin B, Little-C and R-man cheering on the Cyclones!

As I was roaming through the aisles, I decided to splurge on a few food items since my sister happened to be in town. Biscuits and Gravy, how can you go wrong with this for breakfast? This is my husbands specialty and I will share the recipe in a future blog post. I also purchased some ham loaf to make hamballs. I also needed to make some corn recipes for a work project so our family is eating delicious cheesy corn casserole and cheesy potatoes with corn flakes! I have a few other corn recipes to make so I purchased the ingredients to assure I stay in check with my $40 grocery budget this upcoming week.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention what R-man is eating for lunch this week!  He is eating plums (those babies are expensive right now), apples, pears, carrots, sweet potatoes and lasagna. He is loving his new foods! A couple weeks ago, I mentioned the club crackers. As you can tell from this photo, R-man is loving the club crackers but thankfully there are plenty left to get us through the remaining weeks of lent! 


R-man loving his lasagna and Club crackers!

No comments :

Post a Comment