{padding:0 3px}

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Happy National Sibling Day to the Greatest Siblings I Know

Today is National Sibling Day. The siblings bonds are life-long relationships usually lasting from cradle to grave. It is usually the longest relationship of a person’s life and typically much longer than a mother’s and father’s relationship. For those that don’t know me well, I have two sisters and three brothers. In school we were often called the "Brady Bunch" because there are three girls then the three boys. Still not quite sure how my parents did it.
Becky, Janet, Linda, Ray, Randy & Jason
My siblings were my pals growing up, well kind of. We did have our fair share of arguments but overall we tended to get along quite well. Although, our parents my think differently at times.



One thing that separates sibling relationships from any other is that no matter what, your sibling is your sibling. You can unfriend a friend that has betrayed you, you can get a new college roommate when you no longer get along, and you can stop hanging out with people who just no longer want to be your friend. But you can’t unsibling your sibling. Once your parents welcome them into the family, you’re pretty much stuck with them the rest of your life so why not make the best of it. I think this makes you fight harder to make things work, especially when growing up. It’s fair to say that everyone desires a good, strong, functional relationship with their sibling(s), and here are a few reasons why your this relationship is one worth fighting for and celebrating:

  1. Your sibling knows you better than anyone. Let’s face it, sometimes they know you too well. Our siblings knew each other very well because our entire family lived in a three bedroom house. The three girls shared a room and the three boys. Needless to say those close quarters allowed us to get to know each other very well. We knew each others likes and dislikes and every quirk, every preference, every annoying behavior (there were plenty) - your sibling knows about it.

  2. Your sibling understands where you came from. After-all, your siblings do have the same family so they understand the small quarks about your family that no one else ever will. Siblings often witness the same situations and remember the same silly family rituals and traditions. One tradition I’ll never forget and won’t pass along to my children is opening gifts on Christmas after all the chores were finished and the lunch dishes were washed and put away!  We hated staring at the unopened gifts all morning!

  3. Your sibling knows how to push your buttons. Each of my siblings spent years together on the farm and we all knew what triggered each other. Sometimes we were good at pushing each others buttons just to get a reaction.

  4. Your sibling shares your looks. For the most part, my siblings and I all look alike. Actually, my younger sister Linda and I always got mistaken for twins growing up. We are 3 ½ years apart! 
My sister Linda and I
5. You love your sibling, and your sibling loves you.  Growing up it did not always feel this way but now that we are all adults and older and wiser we understand the bond that we hold as siblings.

6. Siblings are always there for you no matter what. Through the years, I’ve learned that if something is bothering me I consult my siblings because they’ll tell me their honest opinion. Sometimes I don’t care to hear what they have to say but let’s face it, sometimes the truth needs to be said. My parents always taught us to speak our opinion because life is tough and each of my siblings certainly do this!


7. When life gets tough, brush yourself off and get right back up. Growing up in a big family certainly taught each and every one of us this. When life was difficult and we thought the end was in sight, we knew we had to brush ourselves off and move right along. Somehow life never seemed to be as bad once we looked in the rear view mirror. Oftentimes, other people and families were going through worse things than we were.


Today, I focus on celebrating National Sibling Day because I think it's important for all siblings to understand the importance of one another. I love all my siblings more than I ever tell them. I won't get all mushy on any of you (Becky, Linda, Ray, Randy and Jason) because you all know me too well. And plus, after having kids I tend to get a bit more sappy about things like this!  

No comments :

Post a Comment