{padding:0 3px}

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Weekend Wrap Up

The weekend didn't start as planned because I was delayed getting home from a work trip. On Friday, I was supposed to fly home from Washington D.C. at 2:30 p.m., so my manager and I got to the airport around 12:30 p.m. Our flight was delayed due to the arrival of the airplane so we missed our connecting in Chicago. We tried to rebook on a different flight to Des Moines but it was full, they put us on stand-by on the flight to DSM and booked an actual flight to Omaha. The Omaha flight was expected to arrive in Omaha by 10:00 p.m. so we thought we'd try to rent a car to drive home from Chicago instead. No car rental places would rent a car one way from Chicago, so my manager and I headed back to the airport.

We asked about the stand-by flight was and it was in terminal C and the Omaha flight was in terminal B. The flights were supposed to leave within 20 minutes of each other so we couldn't chance trying to get on the stand-by flight and missing Omaha so we headed to terminal B. Come to find out we could have made it on the flight to DSM.

Our flight kept getting delayed and didn't end up leaving Chicago until around 9:40 p.m. About 30 minutes into the flight the pilot came on and said we'd be running into some weather coming into Omaha. We could handle a little turbulence, at this point we just wanted to get home. Once we got closer to Omaha we circled the air for an hour and then finally the pilot came on and said we'll try this and if we can't land, we'll head up north. I really wanted to have a few choice words because I was tired and just wanted to get home. We landed successfully but once we got closer to the airport the pilot came on again saying it was lightening so they couldn't let the workers out to put out the gate bridge. Wow, I thought that was crazy because we're sitting on a metal plane but that didn't seem to matter. We sat for about 10 minutes and finally taxied to the gate bridge.

Our crazy flight path. 

We got off the plane and ran to the car rental counter to get our keys so we could quickly make the two hour trip back to DSM. At this point it was almost mid-night. We got our car and the guy told us that our carry on luggage would barely fit. I thought he was joking but once we saw our car, he wasn't. We had a Chevy Fiat to drive back to DSM. It was basically the size of a smart car and got 68 mpg.



Once I arrived home at 3:05 a.m., I was so tired that I went straight to the basement so the kids wouldn't wake me up once they woke up. I finally woke up at 8:30 a.m. but still felt tired. Dave had the kids dressed to go to the Johnston Green Day's parade. I was less than thrilled to go but I thought I'd better go to help him with the kids and I was excited to see Little-C pick up the candy.





When we arrived home,  it was around 11:00 a.m. and I headed straight to bed for a four hour nap. Once I got up at 3:00 p.m. we headed over to a friends house to help them move furniture into their basement that had just been remodeled.

After we got home, we set-up the bounce house to wear the kids out. They absolutely love their new toy. I bought it at Sams Club and it has been awesome. The good part is that it'll fit in the basement of our new house!


SamsClub_BounceHouse


SamsClub_BounceHouse

Sunday was a semi-relaxing day. We cleaned the house, did laundry, made rhubarb cake and some delicious lunches for the week. Chicken, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and easy after work supper. Lunch during the week doesn't get any better than a home cooked meal.

The kids enjoyed a few freeze pops too. Little-C uses her brother as an excuse to get another one. She says, "R-man want's more Mommy."  I'm sure it's just beginning with using him as an excuse.

Little-C sharing her freeze pop with R-man. 

No comments :

Post a Comment