{padding:0 3px}

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

To the Men and Women in Blue

This past week has been an emotional one for me. You see, a year ago I began a new job with the City of Pleasant Hill. When I accepted the job, I didn't know those that I work with everyday would grow to be family during the first year.

My husband has worked in city government for the past 13 years so I figured if I had questions, I could ask him - he'd know the answer. This past weekend showed me, even he doesn't have all the answers.

On Saturday morning, I heard about a horrific car accident that took the lives of four people, two of them were Police Officers. I looked at Dave and asked, "Why?" He didn't know the answer.

Susan Farrell was a reserve officer with the Pleasant Hill Police Department (PHPD) from 2008-2015. Her husband is a full time officer with PHPD. Hearing about these officers fall while on duty hits home. I work with guys like this everyday, including Susan's husband, Jesse.

During this past year,  the officers I work with have grown into family. Seeing them in uniform everyday, protecting us and making this world a better place is gratifying. Everyday they leave the house, kiss their families goodbye not knowing if they will return. Police Officers sign up for a dangerous job to protect citizens and take the so called "bad guys" off the streets. Those men and women in 'blue' are people just like you and me. They like to joke around and have fun with their jobs, just like you and I.


After the press conference, I looked at my husband and told him - I may need to go into the office to help our officers and without question he said - go. He too understands the importance of unifying and coming together because he lived it growing up. His Dad was an EMT so there were times when he would have a holiday dinner without him because he needed to go. It's the same way with our men and women in blue. When you are sitting there having your holiday meal with your family, pray for those who are out there protecting our communities so you can enjoy your family. Those men and women in blue don't just work an 8-5 job. If duty calls, they go in even if it's on a holiday, on their day off or on their kids birthday.

During the visitation for Farrell, I saw so many with tears wheal up in their eyes. Personally I didn't know Farrell, but I felt like I did through the stories from colleagues. Seeing photos of her with her family brought me to tears. On Saturday before I headed to work, I gave both of my kids a hug and said Mommy will be home soon. Caroline said, Mommy I want to go with you to see the Police Officers. I talk about the Police Officers often so both kids have grown to love them. After her comment, I got down to her level and said, Caroline, Mommy doesn't know how long she will be gone so you need to stay with Daddy. I explained that a bad accident happened and the officers are now in heaven so we need to pray for them and their families because a little girl like her would never see her Mommy again. In her little voice she said, "Mommy, can't she just come back tomorrow?" I said with tears, honey I wish it was that simple. I told Caroline "We just need to pray for the little girl and her family every night."

During times like this we ask why, but we will never know the answer. So I will leave you with a few words...
  • Kiss and hug those you love each and everyday. Tonight I asked Ryan, do you know Mommy loves you. He said, "Yes Mommy, you tell me everyday." 
  • Don't hold grudges because your never guaranteed the next hour, day or week. Only the Lord above knows our timeline.
  • Before hanging up the phone with a friend or loved one. Tell them you love them. That could be the last words they remember. 
  • Thank those men and women in blue. They are people just like you and I who are trying to make this world a better place. 
As I close this post, I extend prayers to those with heartache so they may heal knowing those fallen officers are watching and protecting them everyday.

With Love and Prayers

No comments :

Post a Comment